[Geojson] Toward consensus on proposals

Sean Gillies sean.gillies at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 10:27:35 PDT 2011

Hi all,

We've got two proposals for changes to the spec and one that may be
arriving (Andrew?), so it shouldn't take long to decide whether to
accept them or not.

Circles and Ellipses:
https://github.com/GeoJSONWG/geojson-spec/wiki/wiki/Proposal%20Circles%20and%20Ellipses%20Geoms

Let's be clear whether we're specifying paths or patches. Center
coordinates + radius feels natural to me. If a CRS is defined,
wouldn't it be best to apply those units to the radius? Otherwise,
could we require units to always (MUST) be meters?

An ellipse is complicated by the two axes and their orientation.
Defining these differently than GML does would need a strong argument.

Circles and ellipses can be approximated by polygons, but it becomes
onerous for good approximations. I'm in favor of this proposal.

Data Series Proposal:
https://github.com/GeoJSONWG/geojson-spec/wiki/Data-Series-Proposal

I'm concerned about adding something so specialized to the spec and
also wonder why a data series object needs to be privileged instead of
simply going in the properties object.

Let's discuss. I'll split the subject in two as soon as it seems needed.

--
Sean Gillies