[Geojson] Assessing date/time ideas

Arlo Belshee Arlo.Belshee at microsoft.com
Sat Oct 1 08:16:41 PDT 2011

I would look to GeoJson to cover its domain well and integrate well into larger data systems, but not to increase its scope outside of a narrow domain. That will make it easier for people to use as part of their solution. It will also keep more uniformity in the ecosystem.

For example, time series data seems highly related. Handling full feeds does not.

If people want feeds, additional media, expiration dates, and the like, then they are probably in the realm of data, not the realm of geospatial objects. Make sure they can easily use GeoJson to describe the shapes to which their data relate, but assume they'll use something else for the rest. Not every library needs to also be an email gateway.

As an example, I work on the OData protocol. OData is a general purpose data exchange protocol. This means that we sew together various other formats and protocols to provide uniformity higher in the stack. We chose GeoJson as our format for geospatial primitives partly because it addressed one area well and did not attempt to control the entire document.

Gml was a lot less useful to us. It tries to do too much, overlaps with more things that we've already set (places we use Atom Pub), and attempts to control the whole document.

With GeoJson, we just removed everything related to features, and the rest fit very well for describing geospatial values. It's a good thing that GeoJson didn't try to solve more if the general data problem (or try to be more like a full feature service). That would have just made it harder to use to solve larger problems.

GeoJson does geospatial data well. Except for the features stuff, it doesn't provide partial solutions out of its domain. This is a great advantage. Keep it.

If people want to solve a different problem, let them use another format. If they want to use some geospatial data in that, make it easy to integrate GeoJson into that other format.

Don't try to re-invent the feed (or the RPC, the Rdbms, the service, or other things that other geospatial communities have tried to do). Instead, be like the lowly int: uniform, easy to integrate into other objects, and absolutely everywhere.

Arlo

Sent from my Windows Phone