[Geojson] circles (was: Toward consensus on proposals)

Matt Priour mpriour at kestrelcomputer.com
Mon Nov 7 06:53:08 PST 2011

I’m still not understanding why there is so much opposition to adding circles and ellipses. GeoJSON is a transport format. Why do we even care about what happens on the GeoJSON client/interpreter end if spec changes don’t break currently working/expected behavior?
Circles or curved linestrings are supported by GML, EWKT and SQL-MM standards and implemented in JTS, PostGIS 1.4+ and other programs.
What is the harm of allowing a more compact representation of these geometries?
Most GeoJSON parsers are robust enough to just ignore unsupported types.
The biggest issue I see is the radii units question. However, even with that I think we have hit upon a good compromise:
Specify a ‘units’ member or else the parser MUST default to coordinate units.
Matt Priour