[Geojson] circles (was: Toward consensus on proposals)

christopher.schmidt at nokia.com christopher.schmidt at nokia.com
Sun Nov 6 12:59:55 PST 2011

On Nov 6, 2011, at 3:43 PM, ext andy e wrote:

> I was a little hesitant to use those examples, because I knew it would bring up the "isn't this just a point with a buffer?" argument.
>
> The GPS example was probably bad. Let's go back to the CEP:
>
> " It is defined as the radius of a circle, centered about the mean, whose boundary is expected to include 50% of the population within it."
>
> In the work we do, it's not always treated as a point + error. It's treated as "any point within this area, defined by a point and axis/radius".
>
> Yes, totally agree on the conversion. But again, what does conversion/implementation have to do with the spec? I may convert all lines/polygons I come across into an infinite number of points, but that doesn't mean all shapes should just be points, right?

Actually, that's exactly what all shapes are:

"The "coordinates" member of a geometry object is composed of one position (in the case of a Point geometry), an array of positions (LineString or MultiPoint geometries), an array of arrays of positions (Polygons, MultiLineStrings), or a multidimensional array of positions (MultiPolygon)."

I'm suggesting that for circles (though not ellipses), I think that we
get the same benefit out of adding an optional radius parameter to the
point object, which could be handled at the application level.

The reason that I prefer this is that applications which don't
'understand' circles can maintain the circle more easily than
if we create an entirely new type -- which almost all applications won't
understand, and most will just convert to a polygon.

It also means that applications which produce circles have an
expectation of what the default behavior they can expect from
non-circle supporting clients are -- and I think that "returning
the point at the center of the circle" is more valuable than
"returning a parse error", if it's still possible to satisfy
most of the need of the circle extension.

-- Chris