[Geojson] circles (was: Toward consensus on proposals)

andy e virtualandy at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 10:12:46 PST 2011

Sean,

Good point about splitting circles/ellipses. Not sure I can offer anything
back in that regard.

Re: what we gain by adding to the spec (and I think this somewhat applies
to the units concerns, too) - simplicity and conciseness, I guess?
Just as you are able to specify a polygon with just a few points, it would
be nice to do the same with circles/ellipses. A polygon with 20+ points
that is really just an ellipse seems too complex, irrespective of how it
gets handled when parsed. As mentioned before, right now we are storing
Points with radius/axis properties. Substituting "Circle" or Ellipse there
would be helpful, as at a glance you could tell what you had.

I think of GeoJSON as a lightweight non-heavy-GIS format, i.e. I want to
curl and API and get back GeoJSON I can glance at. Circles/Ellipses would
be helpful for us in that regard.

Andy