[Geojson] circles (was: Toward consensus on proposals)

Sean Gillies sean.gillies at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 20:25:54 PDT 2011

Tim,

Mathematically perfect circles and ellipses will be rare in the
landscape (if possible at all) but GeoJSON isn't restricted to
lanscape features. Business objects or legal entities might be
circular or elliptical and I think those are completely within the
GeoJSON domain. And, as you said, we don't exclude triangles just
because there are no mathematically perfect triangles in the
landscape.

Myself, I am increasingly troubled by the following issues of adding circles:

* Cut a circle in two: we have no proposal to represent the resulting
patches. We *can* represent split lines and polygons. To represent
pieces of or products of circles, we will need arcs, and even then we
don't have a general basis for computing with pieces or products of
circles.

* Even if we did have a circular basis (do we have a professional
mathematician who can point me to the right vocabulary?) it seems like
we're going to put users in the position of having to use one type of
geometry for sets of exclusively circular/elliptical features and
switch to another basis (our everyday one) for computing with lines
and polygons. And then how would you mix them? Take the difference of
a circle and polygon for example. If the solution is that GeoJSON
parsers will almost always be converting circles and ellipses to
polygon approximations in order to do anything with them, are we
gaining much by adding them to the spec?

Martin, have you been down this road with the OGC? Do circles and
ellipses actually occur in real world GML? And how do systems deal
with them?

--
Sean Gillies