[Geojson] GeoJson license

jim jimmycantwell at excite.com
Thu May 26 09:47:15 PDT 2011

Hi,

I would like to return GeoJson formated data from a REST service but the legal guys have a problem with the creative common copywrite. My take on it was that the copywrite applies if I wanted to republish the spec some where as opposed to if I have code that generates data in the GeoJSON format.
The lawyers see the code that I have written as a 'Derivative Work' and they have a problem with section 4 especially the lines underlined below.

1. You may distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or publicly digitally perform the Work only under the terms of this License, and You must include a copy of, or the Uniform Resource Identifier for, this License with every copy or phonorecord of the Work You distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or publicly digitally perform. You may not offer or impose any terms on the Work that restrict the terms of this License or the ability of a recipient of the Work to exercise the rights granted to that recipient under the terms of the License. You may not sublicense the Work. You must keep intact all notices that refer to this License and to the disclaimer of warranties. When You distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or publicly digitally perform the Work, You may not impose any technological measures on the Work that restrict the ability of a recipient of the Work from You to exercise the rights granted to that recipient under the terms of the License.

Is there a reason why the creative commons license was chosen as opposed to an Apache or MIT license.

Could anyone give me any pointers that I could use to fight my case and allow me to use the GeoJson format in my service?

Thanks!

James