[Geojson] simple 3D geocode for AR

Mike Liebhold mnl at well.com
Wed Sep 9 11:07:08 PDT 2009

Stefan Keller wrote:
> >From what I realized there is X3D (inc. a geocoding service spec.?)
> and there is for sure also an OGC spec. or discussion paper around for
> geocoding (OpenLS, Geocoder, WPS profile?).
>
> Aren't they enough? Are there more existing standards around? Do you,
> Mike, suggest to propose an own spec.?
> .

Interesting that aside from these lists, there is no other forum for
augmented reality practitioners to debate the relative merits of these
(beyond the twitter #AR hashtag search channel, which is quite
inadequate to sort through the tradeoffs. )And it's a bit odd to me that
so few people here are even experimenting, on what is clearly a major
new usage model for creating and viewing geo information.

The core problem is that some AR guys are either rolling their own data
formats, simply shovelling 2D KML information into their apps, although
a few are using  X3D. It's not clear if any of these will gain enough
traction to inspire web-wide adoption. So, As far as I can see, no one
is yet thinking very deeply yet, of AR as a web-like medium.

We'll clearly need to launch some discussions on these issues at the
upcoming geoAR camp we are starting to organize here in the SF bay area
sometime in October.   Stay tuned for time and place. We've got a venue
that will support 50 attendees, but we optimistically hoping for more.
and so are talking to people at Stanford University, and elsewhere.

If anyone wants to jump in to help with the meeting,  please join us.
Gene Becker has kindly set up a wiki here;

http://geoAR.org

I hope enough geo types show-up to help developing some consensus
directions for coding location based AR.

~Mike Liebhold