[Geojson] "Application schema" for GeoJSON?

Richard Barnes rbarnes at bbn.com
Mon May 11 17:43:07 PDT 2009

Hi all,

First, since I'm new to the list, I'm Richard Barnes.  I've been working
in the IETF GEOPRIV working group [1] for a while, but I just found out
about GeoJSON, and had a quick question.

A lot of applications need slightly more advanced geometries than the
point aggregates that are currently in GeoJSON.  For example, the
current draft W3C Geolocation API [2] essentially describes a point with
horizontal and vertical uncertainty radii, i.e., (essentially) an
ellipsoid.  At the same time, these applications don't need the full
expressiveness of full GML.  The typical way to deal with this situation
seems to be to define application schemas that profile GML, for example
the PIDF-LO application schema we use in GEOPRIV [3].

So what I was wondering if it might be worthwhile to port one of these
application schemas over to GeoJSON, i.e., to translate the XML fields
over to JSON.  This could be done either within the main GeoJSON spec,
or as a separate extension document.  For the purpose of discussion,
I've made an extended version of the current spec that supports the
PIDF-LO application schema [4].  (FWIW, I think this would more or less
meet the needs of the W3C group.)

Would this be worth doing?  Current document or a new one?

Thanks,
--Richard

[1] <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/geopriv/>
[2] <http://www.w3.org/2008/geolocation/>