[Geojson] GPX files to GeoJSON

Jeremy Cothran jeremy.cothran at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 08:48:01 PDT 2009

The two issues that most run into with both traditional GIS and GeoJSON,etc
is that neither is designed to address content associative time-series or
collections.  The most technically efficient thing of pushing everything
into one array would break the model of separating geometry from associated
content, unfortunately associated content in today's context assumes a
single time and a single thing(or set of attributes associated with a single
thing like a golf course hole or a newt at a point,etc).
So I'd also like to see those two common(but more complex) issues addressed
in a common way, hopefully enough user/application interest can gather to
spark developer interest in addressing them.

The earlier experimentation I was playing with in regards to GeoJSON was in
the ocean observing systems context, just some ideas and fodder to foment
further discussion.

http://code.google.com/p/xenia/wiki/ObsJSON#Simple_schema_version_2

The issues with Chris's suggestion I have are that 'time', etc aren't really
formally recognized content but more like all other geometry content - just
a bucket of disorganized information - this is fine in the usual GeoRSS type
context of free-form/twitter type content but not useful from a
data-processing/microformat type context.  I don't think that GeoJSON as a
geometry-focused model is going to go down to the content level of detail
that will make application developers happy - I think its more for
application developers to tie-into/associate their content with the existing
GML, GeoJSON model in a microformat type context.

Thanks
Jeremy Cothran