[Geojson] versioning in geojson

Philippe Duchesne pduchesne at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 07:02:46 PDT 2009

Hello all,

i'm working on an encoding that includes geojson chunks.
I'm hitting the problem of version encoding. I guess this also arises
with geojson-only applications, and i'd like your views on this.

Basically, when a client negociates with a server to exchange data,
they may have to agree on the encoding version. We currently only have
geojson 1.0, but what about when we will have an hypothetical 2.0
client with 1.0 servers out in the wild ? or vice-versa ?

I'm not talking about application schemas (this has been discussed
extensively in previous threads, and i understand this is not in the
scope of geojson), but simply about having a way to know what version
of geojson i'm receiving when i query some geojson datasource. Even
better, having a way to ask the server a specific encoding.

should it be done using HTTP headers ? (i don't think so)
should it be done by wrapping the geojson chunk in an
application-specific json wrapper that provides the versioning
metadata ? (but then geojson cannot be used on its own)
other options ?

thank you,

--p.