[Geojson] [Geowanking] [georss] simple 3D geocode for AR

Chris Goad chris at platial.com
Sat Aug 29 09:38:16 PDT 2009

> whats the problem here? Its simple coordiante transformation stuff... or
> do I miss something?!

PS

There is a substantive issue here to do with local coordinate systems.  When
representing the features of a particular object it is sometimes useful to
employ coordinates local to that object, and represent separately the
position of the object in the world or relative to its parent in a
heirarchy. Reasons: The  coordinates of features relative to the object may
be known more accurately than global position of the object, and an AR
device's relative position to the object might also be known with greater
precision than its global position.  The object may not have a fixed
position (eg AR on board a ship). The representation is more compact.

3d modeling formalisms support this (and full GML does too), but  GeoRSS,
GeoJSON, and KML do not. This is probably an argument for going to
represententations  built for 3d in the first place for AR applications
where local coordinates play a necessary role, but concievably there is a
niche for our lightweight geo standards extended  by addition of a
transformation node.

-- Chris