[Geojson] [OSGeo-Standards] EPSG + Coordinate Ordering(WasRe:GeoJSON '1.0'?)

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Fri Mar 14 09:42:42 PDT 2008

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 12:31:47PM -0400, Keith Jenkins wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 12:23 PM, Sean Gillies <sgillies at frii.com> wrote:
> >  Keith, the proposed OGC URN scheme aims to do that with
> >  urn:ogc:def:crs:OGC:1.3:CRS84.
>
> Beautiful.  So once that URN is official, there wouldn't be any
> need/temptation to refer to EPSG:4326, right?

No, and the previous spec spoke explicitly to solving this by using the
URN.

> (But maybe there will
> always be legacy data providers and consumers still referring to a
> transposed version of EPSG:4326?)

More importantly than that, there are a large number of geographic
coordinate systems that are Lat/Lon that *aren't* EPSG:4326:
http://spatialreference.org/ref/epsg/?page=29 has a long list. I'm
narrowminded, but if we actually want to *solve* the problem, making
EPSG:4326 a special case doesn't do it. Maybe we don't care about
solving the problem, or maybe we feel that calling it EPSG:4326 and x,y
isn't a problem: either way, it's not actually solving the general case
-- which we'll need to do if we care.

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt