[Geojson] clarification on Feature id

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Mon Mar 17 10:25:18 PDT 2008

Sean Gillies wrote:
> Mateusz Loskot wrote:
>> Allan Doyle wrote:

>>> I agree that it may be confusing to have it in the examples the way
>>> they are. But unless there's some agreement on the semantics of an id,
>>> I'm not sure it makes sense to define it.
>> I'm not sure neither :-)
>>
>>> Would it have to be unique?
>> I'm quite sure GeoJSON should not be that specific and it better defines
>> it a "implementation specific".
>>
>>> What about systems that don't have a concept of feature id?
>>> What if it's unique to the server but not to the client? etc. etc.
>> Good questions. So, if the concept of id is unspecified, why not to move
>> it completely under the "properties" and leave its definition and
>> meaning to client?
>>
>>> I like examples that show how to mix spec and non-spec things
>>> together, since that helps me to understand what's legal and what's
>>> not, but maybe the main examples should not use id.
>> I agree, however I'd prefer to see it specified that it's correct to
>> inject and mix non-GeoJSON objects/properties on every level of
>> GeoJSON tree.
>>
>> This way we avoid confusions and have this aspect well explained.
>>
>> Greetings
>
> My original use case for id was that it would be globally unique, like
> atom:id, and support CRUD operations between clients and servers, like
> the WFS feature id.

Sean,

Yes this is one of the most common use case of feature id. My
understanding is that most of users working with table/tree-like data
sets expect to be able to uniquely identify a feature within a dataset
or at least within single document (subset of the original dataset).
Thus I'd vote for making GeoJSON more explicit about handling feature
id, even if GeoJSON does not intent to handle it.

Greetings
--
Mateusz Loskot
http://mateusz.loskot.net