[Geojson] [OSGeo-Standards] EPSG + Coordinate Ordering (Was Re:GeoJSON '1.0'?)

Carl Reed creed at opengeospatial.org
Fri Mar 14 08:21:22 PDT 2008

Christopher -

I understand your concerns.  However, the axis order issues transcends the
requirements for rapid development or any one application. Standardized
approaches to using geospatial content (including payloads) and services is
of paramount importance in many industries and enterprises. For example, the
location services industry as represented by the Open Mobile Alliance, the
e-business industry as represented by OASIS and the internet industry as
represented by the IETF all rely honesty and consistency of how a CRS is
expressed even if the default is WFS 84-2d. The key words are honesty and
consistency. In other words, if one chooses to ignore the axis order as
expressed in the CRS definition and express the geometry coordinate order
differently (the crux of the lat-lon/lon-lat issue), then the
application/payload must say so. The problem we have had is that
applications state the 4326 CRS and then code the coordinates as lon-lat but
say that this is the case. The focus of the axis order manifesto is
providing guidance so that this does not happen and that honesty and
consistency are achieved.

As to the drawing and the short pieces on datums, that was written by Roger
Lott, chairman of the OGP and formerly Head of Survey BP Exploration. I
should have provided the reference! I will update ogcnetwork today.

Finally, as Metacarta is an OGC member, feel free to participate in the
process and provide what I know to be valuable implementation experience.

Regards

Carl