[Geojson] [OSGeo-Standards] EPSG + Coordinate Ordering (Was Re: GeoJSON '1.0'?)

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Thu Mar 13 14:55:07 PDT 2008

I'm with Frank: say what you mean, and mean what you say.

EPSG:4326 has a particular meaning, but as long as you explicitly
over-ride that meaning in your document, at least you are saying what
*you* mean by EPSG:4326.  The WMS 1.1.0 specification did exactly
this.

You should, as Frank suggests, go one step further and say that, "for
all geographic coordinate systems, we expect lon/lat, but that for
projected systems, we'll go with the explicit definition in the
database".

Because this was botched (depending on your perspective, by WMS 1.0 or
by WMS 1.3) the meaning of EPSG:4326 when applied to web services is
somewhat in dispute, so just be clear about what you want in the
specification document.  Don't allow optional flags to flip the
behavior around at run-time.

P.