[Geojson] Finishing the edits

Arnaud Diederen ad at ionicsoft.com
Mon Jun 16 01:53:35 PDT 2008

Hello list,

I noticed the 1.0 spec is out, but I have a quick question.

I'm wondering if there's a particular reason for storing points data
into arrays of their own.
For example, a polygon with three points would be described as:
(by the way, why do linear rings have to be closed by a duplicate of the
first point, like in GML? Usually we know we're dealing with linear
rings, by the context (i.e., drawing a polygon rather than a linestring,
de-serializing a polygon and not a linestring, ...))

---

{ "type": "Polygon",
  "coordinates": [
    [ [100.0, 0.0], [101.0, 0.0], [101.0, 1.0], [100.0, 0.0] ]
    ]
 }

---

rather than as follows:

---

{ "type": "Polygon",
  "coordinates": [
    [100.0, 0.0, 101.0, 0.0, 101.0, 1.0, 100.0, 0.0]
    ]
 }

---

I believe the latter would be lighter for browsers to parse.
Of course the difference in speed would be unnoticeable for small
geometries, but when it comes to geometries of thousands of points, that
sort of optimization might be worth taking into consideration.

Still, congratulations for the 1.0 version!

Best,
      Arnaud