[Geojson] bbox-related question

Allan Doyle afdoyle at MIT.EDU
Mon Dec 8 09:40:05 PST 2008

On Dec 8, 2008, at 12:24 PM, Sean Gillies wrote:

> Eric Lemoine wrote:
>> Hi
>> If a GeoJSON document includes "bbox" properties at the level of both
>> features and geometries, which one takes precedence?
>> Thanks!
>> --
>> Eric
>
> The spec doesn't say. In either context, the local one should surely
> be relied on, yes?

" The value of the bbox member must be a 2*n array where n is the
number of dimensions represented in the contained geometries, with the
lowest values for all axes followed by the highest values. "

Seems to me that this says that a bbox has to be coincident with the
lowest/highest value, etc., thus you should not be able to have a bbox
inside that's bigger than an outer, higher level one.

But maybe I'm reading too much into it. It really comes down to a data
quality issue that would be out of scope for the spec.

	Allan