[Geojson] polygon point order

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Mon Oct 15 14:28:50 PDT 2007

On Mon, Oct 15, 2007 at 11:23:37AM -0700, Paul Ramsey wrote:

> On 15-Oct-07, at 6:51 AM, Christopher Schmidt wrote:
>
> >Someone else said at one point "If you're worrying about date-line
> >wrapping, you're using the wrong projection." I don't know if I 100%
> >agree, but I think that it's something to consider.
>
> This is pretty much what I tell folks who want native geodetic
> support in PostGIS, and for 98% of them it holds true, but there is
> that niggling 2% who do actually have data of global extent... I
> would have thought that with your global base maps, default "show the
> world" extent, and so on, you'd have come across the issue of
> dateline/pole crossing more frequently than most, Chris,

The only thing that we've run into requests for wrapping are the tiles
for display, to make the world not seem 'so empty' when you zoom all the
way out. Since we follow the 'let the users do whatever they want'
principle, vectors/overlays can be 'outside the world', so they can
visually display in the correct place, simply by doing a little
mod-magic in URLs.

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt