[Geojson] GeoJSON, OGC, ISO and everything in between

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Tue Oct 9 08:37:27 PDT 2007

Nice recap Martin.

Here's my take:

1. I don't care if GeoJSON forces an x/y interpretation of coordinates.  I found it interesting that John's email read right-to-left in my webmail :)

2. Sure; the wiki's open.

3. Uh, that sounds painful...

4. No opinion

5. This is a pet "want" of mine.  I would prefer to see geometry be a pointer to the name of the "default" geometry property, and allowing 0:many geometry properties.  It's a requirement for the JSON support in MapGuide's RESTful feature representation (via FDO) that Haris Kurtagic is working on, and it means that he has to use a subset of GeoJSON or possibly even something that's not GeoJSON at all.

I think that it's pretty clear that in order for GeoJSON to fully support representation of Oracle (or PostGIS, or FDO) feature classes, it would need to be extended.  I think it's also clear that current users (and drivers) of the pragmatic GeoJSON spec don't require a format more complicated than a basic shapefile.

Does this mean that GeoJSON is useless?  Absolutely not.  But it does mean that there will either need to be a version 2, or that traditional GIS implementations will go their own way and not be able to use GeoJSON in a way that is universally consumable.

Jason