[Geojson] GeometryCollection not treated as a Geometry type

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Tue Oct 9 06:36:07 PDT 2007

On Tue, Oct 09, 2007 at 09:14:03AM -0400, John Herring wrote:
> If it goes forward as is, it will eventually suffer
> the same fate that the OLE/COM Simple Features volume you found, a deserved
> place in obscurity, and no one willing to fix it.

If that's the way it will be, that's the way it will be. I'm sorry that
you feel that GeoJSON can not meet the needs of OGC users of simple
features. I think that GeoJSON suits the current set of users well, and
if a use case can be crafted which it does not suit, I think that the
spec is designed for growth.

Hopefully anyone who has a use case that GeoJSON does not support can
bring it forward. (This is why we have null geometry support, after
all.) If one is brought forward, then we can determine the best solution
for the problem.

Also, of course, willing to be told that everyone but me cares about
this, and I'm of the deep end -- but given the community of GeoJSON
users thus far gathered, I'm not really expecting that.

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta