[Geojson] : Metadata ?

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Tue Oct 2 13:18:16 PDT 2007

On Tue, Oct 02, 2007 at 10:04:18PM +0200, Guillaume Sueur wrote:
> I don't agree. You must provide information to the client which receives
> geometry and features of what can be done with them.

I absolutely agree. *How* you provide them is the interesting bit.

How does WFS provide them? As I understand it, WFS provides them by
requiring a schema for attributes. The Schema is described in an
external document, linked to from the WFS. GeoJSON allows for this type
of linking -- though it doesn't specify a schema system, because no one
has asked for one yet.

> You don't compute
> thresholds the same way with different types of data. You shouldn't
> display vector data on scales much higher than their scale of
> digitalisation.

Well, "should" is a relative term ;) But yes, I agree: all these things
are important to think about when using GeoJSON in a particular
application, and a schema system for GeoJSON features will probably be
important to a great number of people. I'm looking forward to watching
others who need that functionality develop it.

> But I may have needs and interest completely out of scope !
> Sorry to bother ;-)

I think it's out of scope for "how do we describe the features?" It's
certainly in scope with "What do we need to send along with the features
to describe them?" -- and I hope that people who need this type of
functionality step up to the plate to take a role in creating such
specifications.

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt