[Geojson] polygon point order

Tim Schaub tschaub at openplans.org
Sun Oct 14 14:20:39 PDT 2007

I agree with Chris that we shouldn't make clients clean up or simplify
geometries, but I do think linear ring coordinate ordering makes sense.

KML doesn't touch this:
http://code.google.com/apis/kml/documentation/kml_tags_21.html#linearring

And the result is a bit odd.

You can't digitize a polygon that crosses the dateline in Google Earth.
  You can in Google Maps (you can also really screw up Google Maps by
editing polygons that wrap the dateline).  The coordinate order in the
resulting KML is the order that points were digitized.

If you paste a dateline wrapping polygon from Google Maps to Google
Earth, you get the complimentary polygon (or whatever you want to call
the wrong one.)

If you paste a dateline wrapping polygon from Google Maps into
OpenLayers, you get the same one that Google Earth gives you.

Anyway, I agree that it is a problem that people can't specify polygons
that wrap coordinate systems in a unique way.

That said, I'm happy leaving it out of this version - and waiting to see
if KML ever addresses it.

Tim