[Geojson] GeometryCollection not treated as a Geometry type

Stephen Battey Stephen.Battey at dottedeyes.com
Mon Oct 8 05:11:14 PDT 2007

If MultiPoint, MultiLineString and MultiPolygon objects provide
compatibility with OGC SF then they are not redundant.
My thoughts were that a MultiPoint, say, has better type safety than a
GeometryCollection that contains multiple Points. That would explain why
you might use one or the other but it doesn't explain why a Geometry
object with MultiPoints is a single geometry while a GeometryCollection
with multiple points is not. Should there be a distinction?

Maybe I'm mis-reading the spec. Maybe there isn't a distinction between
single geometry and geometry collections.
Are geometry collections allowed inside geometry collections - or is the
geometries array restricted to single geometry objects?

Steve

eptember/0
00206.html) that Point, LineString and Polygon are redundant because a
single-Geometry MultiPoint, MultiLineString or MultiPolygon is the same
thing, thus ending up with a different, but also arbitrary, subset.

For me, either we have all types (+1, and +compatibility with OGC SF),
or we have one type (-1).

Incoming e-mail scanned by Altman Technologies
Email has been scanned for viruses and spam by Altman Technologies