[Geojson] FW: Features without geometry

Stephen Battey Stephen.Battey at dottedeyes.com
Wed Oct 3 03:24:19 PDT 2007

> Would this alleviate the concerns of the original poster, if
> we said "must have a property 'geometry', which must be a
> GeoJSON Geometry or null" ?
Yes, that would certainly help.
Although semantically a null geometry means 'this feature has no
geometry' I think I can get away with using it to mean 'geometry not
specified'. The rationale being: if a client specifically asks not to
receive any geometry then the client should know to interpret
"geometry": null  as 'geometry not specified'.
I think that's a reasonable condition to ask of client applications, and
it means clients can use a GeoJSON parser to parse the JSON regardless
of whether they query for geometry or centroids, bounding boxes,
metadata, etc.

>From a purely aesthetic point of view, would it be better to use a
consistent syntax for empty/null geometry and properties?
We have empty geometry defined as ..
	"geometry": null
.. and empty properties defined as ..
	"properties": {}

Actually, now that I'm thinking out loud (well, on paper), maybe the
difference is a positive thing. They are, after all, two different types
of information.
Also, using 'null' clearly indicates "an empty geometry" whereas an
empty object might give the impression there is geometry but the data
("type" and "coordinates") was inadvertently omitted when the JSON was
constructed.

The more I think about it the more I like  "geometry": null
I think it is a useful addition to the spec.

Steve

4&diff=153&oldid=151

Regards,
--