[Geojson] OGR GeoJSON Driver

Panagiotis (Peter) A. Vretanos pvretano at cubewerx.com
Sun Nov 11 08:39:58 PST 2007

Eric Lemoine wrote:
> On Nov 7, 2007 4:22 PM, Sean Gillies <sgillies at frii.com> wrote:
>> Mateusz Loskot wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> My name is Mateusz Loskot and working mainly for projects like GDAL/OGR,
>>> MOSS4G, GEOS, FDO, PostGIS and lurking around bunch of other great
>>> initiatives. Recently, I got interested in GeoJSON format and services
>>> based on it, as a good candidate for being a lightweight replacement to
>>> OGC WFS, especially accessible from mobile clients.
>>>
>>> Yesterday, I announced new OGR driver that implements GeoJSON in
>>> terms of OGR objects model. Here is the whole story:
>>>
>>> http://mateusz.loskot.net/2007/11/06/ogr-geojson-driver/
>>>
>>> The driver has been applied to the official GDAL repository:
>>>
>>> http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/1968
>>>
>>> And it will be included in next GDAL 1.5.0 release.
>>>
>>> I'd like to send thanks to authors of GeoJSON Specification. Great job!
>>>
>>> Cheers
>> Mateusz,
>>
>> GeoJSON is just a wire format and only in combination with a REST
>> architecture service (like FeatureServer) can it replace WFS.
>
> GeoJSON has also been used with the WFS protocol as a replacement for
> GML. I'm not sure whether this is WFS-compliant or not though. Any
> idea?
>
> --
> Eric

Eric,

The WFS specification says that you must support GML but may support any
other format you wish.  So technically, as long as the WFS can generate
GML as well as GeoJSOM then it is OK.

However, I know of several WFS implementations that generate other stuff
without GML and they work fine in their environments.

Note, that OGC is currently considering removing the GML requirement
which I think is a good thing.  GML will be, like GeoJSOM, just another
format that a WFS can generate.

Ciao.

--
Panagiotis (Peter) A. Vretanos          CubeWerx Inc.
Big Kahuna (Senior Database Developer)  http://www.cubewerx.com
Tel. 416-701-1985 Fax. 416-701-9870     pvretano at cubewerx.com

"Real men manage their own memory!" -- Raj Singh