[Geojson] success and failure

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Wed Nov 7 07:14:19 PST 2007

On Wed, Nov 07, 2007 at 03:44:35PM +0100, Bart van den Eijnden (OSGIS) wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I am working with ExtJS against Geoserver's GeoJSON output, and I've run
> into a slight compatability issue.
>
> ExtJS expects a boolean attribute named success in the top of the response,
> so it can easily determine (without an ErrorReader) if the request failed or
> succeeded.
>
> Would it be an idea to add this to the GeoJSON spec?

No. This sounds like a protocol level extension which might make sense,
but it does not belong in the GeoJSON format spec.

I'm also not convinced that it belongs in any RESTful protocol; if
something is a 200, it succeeded. If it's a 500, it failed for an
internal server error, if it was 404, it was missing, etc. REST is about
putting this kind of data outside the envelope.

WFS, on the other hand, is not, so a WFS protocol specification using a
GeoJSON transport would probably want to define something like this. I
*might* be able to be convinced that this could be brought into
FeatureServer, just to make life easier; I'm not sure, since it does
seem unrestful. I'd need to ponder.

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt