[Geojson] boundedBy?

Andrew Turner ajturner at highearthorbit.com
Fri Nov 2 04:44:05 PDT 2007

I did voice that bounds: was perhaps a good idea b/c GeoRSS supports
it as well. But I'm curious as to why "one definitely needs support
for"? What are the use-cases that require, or strongly suggest,
needing and utilizing a bounds of a larger set of individual entries?

On 11/2/07, Bryan Lawrence <b.n.lawrence at rl.ac.uk> wrote:

> Not that I'm following the discussion, but one definitely needs support for
> bounding polygons. Support for bounding boxes expressed as minx miny etc
> cause all sorts of problems near the poles in lat/lon.
>
> Cheers
> Bryan
>
> On Thursday 01 November 2007 15:27:48 Sean Gillies wrote:
> > Bart van den Eijnden (OSGIS) wrote:
> > > Hi list,
> > >
> > > one thing I am currently missing in GeoJSON is the ability to specify a
> > > boundedBy property, i.e. the box which encompasses the whole geometry.
> > >
> > > In GML this can be specified using a boundedBy property which contains a
> > > Box geometry.
> > >
> > > Ofcourse OpenLayers can also calculate the bounds for you in javascript,
> > > but it might be useful to have the server do this for some use cases.
> > >
> > > Has this been discussed before?
> > >
> > > Best regards,
> > > Bart
> >
> > Bart,
> >
> > I'm going to be putting bounds on my features and collections like this:
> >
> > {"bounds": [minx, miny, maxx, maxy], ...}
> >
> > How does that strike you?
> >
> > Sean

Andrew Turner
ajturner at highearthorbit.com      42.2774N x 83.7611W