[Geojson] boundedBy?

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Thu Nov 1 03:57:26 PDT 2007

On Thu, Nov 01, 2007 at 11:44:27AM +0100, Bart van den Eijnden (OSGIS) wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> one thing I am currently missing in GeoJSON is the ability to specify a
> boundedBy property, i.e. the box which encompasses the whole geometry.
>
> In GML this can be specified using a boundedBy property which contains a Box
> geometry.
> Has this been discussed before?

It hasn't. I think that we feel that adding this property to a feature
or featurecollection is perfectly allowed -- since you can shove
anything into a GeoJSON structure without making it not GeoJSON -- but
that it doens't need to go into the core.

Your implementation for GML seems fine for GeoJSON too. (Though I'd
probably just call the property 'bounds'.) THen you just need to
document it in the wiki (outside the spec) as a convention, and
encourage people to use it.

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt