[GeoJSON] Wiki copyright

Allan Doyle adoyle at eogeo.org
Thu Mar 15 13:53:08 PDT 2007

On Mar 15, 2007, at 16:36, Allan Doyle wrote:

> I just realized it's here
> http://wiki.geojson.org/GeoJSON:Copyrights
>
> I think it would be best to have a little CC icon show up on every
> page if possible. Not being a big MediaWiki hacker, I'm not sure how
> to do that.
>
> Also how about using the 3.0 instead of the 2.5 version?
>
> http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/
> http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Version_3
>
> In either case, I vote "yes" for by-sa.

The other half of this, of course is who "by" is. I.e. to whom need
the attribution be given.

Copyright accrues to the author. CC licenses are a means of providing
pre-approved releases to the rights reserved by copyright. Thus
attribution needs to be given to the authors.

My personal vote is that we distinguish between the general Wiki and
a single page on the wiki which will hold the spec. The latter should
be a consensus position that keeps whatever spec we have in one
place. No changes allowed to the latter without a vote.

Then we set up a wiki page called SiteAuthors and encourage anyone
who is contributing to the site to put their name there.

The specification page also should have authors in a section. The
reason is (a) that list might be a different set of people and (b)
that page should be printable or be able to be turned into PDF and
shipped around as a standalone document.

If we do that, then it's obvious who the attribution has to go to. If
we don't we wind up with a bit of a morass.

	Allan

--
Allan Doyle
+1.781.433.2695