[GeoJSON] GeoJSON in OpenLayers

Martin Daly Martin.Daly at cadcorp.com
Tue Mar 27 03:26:02 PDT 2007

> > I prefer "properties" (GML terminology) to "attributes" to avoid
> > confusion with Javascript or HTML terms. I also have a
> preference for
> > an explicit "geometry" attribute containing type and data. My $0.02.

(snip)

> Each feature now looks something like
>
> {
>      id: string,
>      geometry: {
>          type: string,
>          data: array
>      },
>      properties: object
> }

If GML terminology is the vogue, then geometry is itself a property of
the feature, and therefore this hierarchy is out of step.

I also worry that trying to pick-and-choose from GML
terminology/structure might lead to confusion, and that it should be all
or nothing (within reason, and the "style" of JSON versus XML).  For
example, "featureCollection" could be used instead of "features".  Of
course the "all" option is only sensible if compatibility with GML is
seen as important.

I'm personally against the "data" member of "geometry", and prefer the
Chris's GeoServer implementation
(http://lists.geojson.org/pipermail/geojson-geojson.org/2007-March/00003
0.html) with the explicit "coordinates" (which is of course posList in
GML 3).

P.S. The list was down for a while yesterday: sorry about that.  No word
from the hosting provider why yet.  I'll try and keep an eye on it.