[GeoJSON] <religious-war>size matters</religious-war>

Allan Doyle adoyle at eogeo.org
Thu Mar 15 09:34:23 PDT 2007

On Mar 15, 2007, at 12:04, Geoff Hendrey wrote:

> And I am one who believes that JSON has lots of value. Huge value! I
> just don't believe its value is in compactness.
>
> I believe the value of JSON is one of necessity. To explain further:
>
> The XMLHttpRequest is hobbled by the domain-of-origin policy. That
> means
> that if I host maphost.com, which hosts a javascript API for draggable
> maps, an application from mapuser.com cannot access my draggable map.
> The security policy of the browser won't allow it.
>
> This forces mapuser.com to install a proxy. While this is a viable
> approach, it introduces complexity to the customer, mapuser.com.
>
> The emerging approach for working around this is based on accessing
> the
> maphost.com javascript via a <script> tag. Google JSONP (yes, that's a
> "P") for more, or this article http://www.xml.com/lpt/a/1636

I was a little surprised to learn that <script> circumvents the
security model. It seems to me that relying on that behavior could be
a bit risky from an architecture point of view.

> The bottom line is, the ONLY way to allow asynchronous browser based
> clients to access a javascript from maphost.com, is via the <script>
> tag. This means that the data you respond with has to be a JSON object
> that calls itself into the application via a callback function invoked
> from inside the script returned from the web service. Good, bad, or
> ugly
> doesn't matter. It's the only way avoid the domain-of-origin issues.
>
> SO the challenge I see is how to *not* throw away all the work that
> has
> been done to create information models for OGC web services like
> OpenLS.
> How do we take the information models, and use them in the context of
> JSON web services.

I'm not familiar with the OpenLS model and I sure won't download it
based on the click-through agreement that's on the OGC site.

I like what's at http://wiki.geojson.org/GeoJSON_Features

(Maybe I should have used <religious-war> tags...)

	Allan