[GeoJSON] Integrating GeoJSON with other kinds of data via JDIL

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Fri Jun 1 10:17:04 PDT 2007

On Fri, Jun 01, 2007 at 12:23:56PM -0400, Christopher Schmidt wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 01, 2007 at 12:13:39PM -0400, Panagiotis (Peter) A. Vretanos wrote:
> > 3) Add a and @type parameter (e.g. "@type": "myns:BUILTUPA_1M").
>
> Hm. that's a point. Most people who think about 'types' in this way are
> actually talking about feature types. I hadn't thaough about that. How
> is 'myns:BUILTUPA_1M' described in the JSON now?

Okay, after discussing with other people on #geojson, we've established:

 * KML has not seriously suffered due to lack of feature types.
 * Feature types in existing implementations (for example, my
   WFS translation of FeatureServer input from JSON) are just faked up
   based on using the layer name, and have little to no actual meaning.

As a result:
 * '@type' is something which can be delivered in GeoJDIL. If it is
   available, it is expected to be a feature type. Users who ask how to
   use featuretypes should be using geojdil and geojdil friendly parser.

I'm going to write this example into the specification.

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta