[GeoJSON] Integrating GeoJSON with other kinds of data via JDIL

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Sun Jun 3 11:55:54 PDT 2007

On Sun, Jun 03, 2007 at 01:36:28PM -0400, Panagiotis (Peter) A. Vretanos wrote:
> What is the point of repeating "type":"Feature" with every feature
> instance?  Does JSON require this?

This makes the FeatureCollection contain objects which are each GeoJSON
objects in and of themselves. This makes the internal chunks
copy-pastable, and the end result is a tiny addition to the JSON
datastructure with large benefits (in my opinion). Essentially, a
GeoJSON object is built up recursively of GeoJSON objects, which I
consider to be a large benefit. I'll fight hard for this for as long as
my opinion means something.

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt