[Geojson] Interesting comparison of JSON and RDF

chris goad chris at platial.com
Fri Jul 27 08:26:20 PDT 2007

Hi Allan, Sean,

>> I've never felt that GeoJSON should be put forward as a general
>> purpose
>> interchange format, and that's why I've resisted the RDF-isms of JDIL.

I wasn't proposing that GeoJSON itself be formulated as a general purpose
format, but rather that minor GeoJSON details should adjusted to allow its
use in a more general context. This is analogous to the GeoRSS GEO
primitives being defined in such a way that they can appear within an RSS
feed - allowing people who want to make geographical assertions about their
content to do so even if their content mentions things other than geography.
Concretely speaking, at Platial we use JSON as a basis for sending various
kinds of information around (commentary, photos, specialized data about
particular topics), and need something that we can mix in to carry the geo
content.

The art of mixing data from different sources is not arcane, nor is it
intrinsically tied to notions of  semantic nirvana - though it may seem to
be to listen to some hype. The technical notions are trivial: 1) avoid name
collisions by using long names (URIs) instead of short ones; 2) to deal with
the resulting versbosity, define abbreviations (namespaces). This is old hat
in the XML world, and JDIL is an attempt to transplant this simple but
useful hack into JSON.

As evidence that data-mixing and  namespaces are not just an affectation of
the semantic faithful, the Google Data APIs which provide access to Google
Base, Calendar, Spreadsheets, Picasa  Web Albums etc use namespaces-per-app
to mix the data from these applications into Atom or JSON feeds.  (If that's
not mainstream what is?)

GEO in particular can benefit hugely from data mixing - geographic features
always have non-geographic attributes that are of central interest to one
community or another : the strength as well as position of earthquakes, the
menu as well as address of a restaurant.  IMHO, Geo format designers  should
consider how  best to fit into more general information flows rather than
how best to sequester their format in its purity!

BTW, we will be using GeoJSON at platial - but might need to sully it  with
the occaisonal  "@"

Final note: I commented on
http://blogs.sun.com/bblfish/entry/the_limitations_of_json - trying to show
that JSON  isn't limited after all for the purpose of transporting RDF - if
one should wish to do that. Thanks for posting  the link.

-- Chris