[GeoJSON] Point as list of one point, or list of coords

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Wed Apr 11 06:38:09 PDT 2007

On Wed, Apr 11, 2007 at 09:25:04AM -0400, Andrew Turner wrote:
> On 4/11/07, Allan Doyle <adoyle at eogeo.org> wrote:
> > Good point. :)
> >
> > On Apr 11, 2007, at 09:07, Christopher Schmidt wrote:
> >
> > > Two different representations are possible for point:
> > >
> > >  [x,y]
> > >
> > >  [[x,y]]
> > >
> > People who edit geojson manually in vim might mess up?
>

> Unfortunately, even if you do the 'better' [[]] there will no doubt be
> implementations that don't get that right and use []. This is easy to
> see in GeoRSS where there are lots of <geo:lon> or
> xmlns:geo=".../wgs84_pos" (instead of ".../wgs84_pos#"). Simple
> mistakes, but means you have to build in all kinds of case statements
> to handle these slightly incorrect statements, or just ignore them and
> have unhappy users.

I'm happy having unhappy users if the users are doing something wrong.
RSS established itself as a "You must accept any random XML people throw
at you -- and sometimes things that aren't XML, too" specification. I'm
not going to play that game with code I write. (THough others are
obviously welcome to do so.)

The allowing for ',' in GeoRSS has thrown off more than one person
reading the spec for the same time. Pick something and stick with it,
strongly. I'm for [[x,y]], but I'm even more for taking a stand.

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta